March 28, 2017
You’ve had a blank spot in your smile for longer than you’d like to admit – and you’re finally ready to restore your smile to its former glory with dental implants in Suffern, NY. But, you have one major question about this premier replacement option: how long will they last? In this post, find out about dental implants and how long-lasting they are from the experts at Cosmetic Dentistry Associates.
What Are Dental Implants?
As your dentist in Suffern, NY, Dr. Peter Auster, Dr. Frances Tang, and Dr. Lawrence Tesser explain that dental implants consist of three pieces:
- Implant – The implant itself is a biocompatible titanium post that will be surgically placed in your jaw. This will become the secure foundation for the rest of your replacement tooth. You’ll have oral surgery as the first step in the process, and you’ll need about 3-6 months for the post to fuse with your jaw in a process called osseointegration. At that point, the other pieces can be added.
- Abutment – This is the connecting piece between the implant and- the tooth-shaped “cap.” Once the implant is strong enough, the abutment will then be affixed to the post.
- Crown – This is the part of the replacement that looks like the tooth. The long-lasting, natural-looking porcelain dental crown will be secured to the abutment after that part is added, giving you your winning smile back.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
As opposed to dental bridges, partials, and full dentures that last a maximum of fifteen years, at best, dental implants can last indefinitely with proper care. Many patients don’t need to replace any portion of the implant until after decades of use. These are as close to permanent as a patient can get, and are remarkably durable, and life-like. And, although implants may be a bit more costly up-front, you’ll actually save money over the course of a lifetime with fewer replacements.
Why Are Implants Superior To Other Artificial Teeth?
Implants are the gold standard for artificial teeth for several reasons, including:
- Jaw Strength – Unlike bridges and dentures that cause your jawbone to recede from the pressure that occurs every time you chew, dental implants actually increase bone density and keep your jaw strong.
- Stay-Put Smile – Who wants to put their smile in a cup at night? You won’t have to worry about the embarrassment of removeable dentures in your daily life, even when you kiss your sweetheart. And, you can say goodbye to messy dental adhesives, too.
- Better Speech & Chewing – Your teeth not only make your smile look great, they’re a vital part of speaking and digesting food. Since the implants will stay in place and won’t wiggle, you’ll be able to eat all your favorite foods, and you’ll never have to worry about mumbling or being misunderstood when you talk.
Now that you know that dental implants are the long-lasting solution you’re looking for, schedule your appointment with Cosmetic Dentistry Associates today to get your beautiful smile back!
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.