If you are dealing with a dental emergency, please call our Pomona dentist office as soon as possible. Our team will work with you to get you to our office at your earliest convenience.
A dental emergency can happen anywhere, anytime. Knowing what to do in the case of a dental emergency can save you time, money, and discomfort. At Cosmetic Dentistry Associates we make every effort to address your dental emergency as soon as possible. In many cases, a dental emergency will need to be addressed as soon as possible to avoid further issues.
What is A Dental Emergency?
Understanding what constitutes a dental emergency and what doesn’t can be an interesting process. One way to determine if you are dealing with a dental emergency is to ask yourself these key questions:
- Are you experiencing severe dental pain?
- Are you bleeding from the mouth?
- Do you have an infection?
- Did you lose a permanent tooth?
- Do you have swelling in the face or mouth?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, it is probably in your best interest to contact your local emergency dentist.
Common Example of Dental Emergencies
- Injured jaw
- Severe bleeding
- A painful toothache
- Loose permanent tooth
- Knocked out a permanent tooth
- Intense swelling
When you contact your dentist, be sure to explain your symptoms in great detail to help your dentist better gauge what you may be experiencing. Understand that the sooner you see a dentist, the more likely they will be able to save a damaged tooth.
Preventing A Dental Emergency
Whether you have already experienced a dental emergency and want to avoid another, or you just want to avoid one from the start, it is important to keep these tips in mind. One of the best ways to avoid a dental emergency is to visit your dentist at least twice a year for routine dental exams. At your routine dental exam, your dentist can spot any signs of dysfunction and treat it before it develops into an advanced issue. If you visit the dentist regularly, they can spot issues early; thus, minimizing your chance of a dental emergency.
Helpful tips to avoid a dental emergency
- Maintain a healthy oral hygiene routine. Make sure you routinely brush, floss, and rinse your teeth to remove plaque from the teeth. If plaque is left untreated, it can weaken the teeth and increase your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Assess your bad dental habits. Using your teeth as tools, nail-biting, and teeth grinding are just some of the bad dental habits that can lead to a dental emergency if left untreated. Be sure to identify your bad dental habits and talk to one of our experienced dentists to learn ways to fix your habits.
- Get screened regularly for periodontal disease and oral cancer. In many cases, we perform routine screenings at your routine dental examination. However, for patients who are at a greater risk of oral cancer and periodontal disease, we may recommend you get screened more often.
- Wear a mouthguard during physical activity. A custom fit mouthguard can protect the teeth and jaw during contact sports. Many patients experiencing knocked out teeth during sports, so it is important to take preventive measures to keep your teeth and jaw protected.
Emergency Dentist Pomona, NY
As highly trained dentists, Dr. Peter Auster and Dr. Frances Tang are committed to addressing all dental emergencies in a timely fashion. Our team takes a compassionate and proactive approach to your dentistry needs. If you are experiencing a dental emergency, please contact our Pomona dental office as soon as possible. If you have not visited the dentist recently, visit us for a routine dental exam. To schedule an appointment, call (845) 241-0656 or request an appointment online.