Periodontal Therapy An Overview
Many patients with gum disease don’t understand how devastating this disease can be to their dental and overall health. Studies have suggested gum disease can increase your risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and other systemic health conditions. Improving your gum health can enhance your overall wellness.
Our dentists have extensive training in treating various stages of gum disease. Our innovative techniques can help restore your gum health and improve your overall dental health. Prompt treatment can reduce your risk of tooth loss and other dental health complications associated with gum disease.
Stages of Gum Disease
- Gingivitis: During the earliest stage of gum disease, bacteria has lead to swollen gums, irritated gums, and bleeding gums. If caught early enough, the effects of gingivitis are reversible.
- Periodontitis: If gingivitis is left untreated, it can progress to periodontitis. During periodontitis, the gums begin to deteriorate and deep periodontal pockets form around the gum line. During this stage of gum disease, you may notice symptoms such as receding gums, halitosis, and shifting teeth.
- Advanced Periodontitis: During this advanced stage of gum disease, the bacteria has compromised the health and function of the teeth. This can lead to bone and tooth loss if left untreated.
Periodontal Therapy What to Expect
Advanced Periodontal Therapy: Treating Gum Disease
Gum disease is best treated during gingivitis. During gingivitis, the overall structure of the gums, teeth, and bone structure are not compromised. In many cases, the effects of gingivitis can be reversed through conservative measures.
The longer you leave gingivitis untreated, they more likely it will develop into an advanced form of gum disease. During advanced stages of gum disease, you are at an increased risk of bone and tooth loss, which will require advanced treatment.
We offer a full range of minimally invasive treatment options for various stages of gum disease. Our dentists and board-certified periodontist offer a unique blend of skills and expertise that can help you get one step closer to a healthier smile. After a thorough evaluation of your gums, we may recommend one or more of the following solutions for you.
- Laser Dentistry: Advanced laser dentistry is suitable for patients with moderate to advanced stages of gum disease. Laser gum surgery is a noninvasive, effective way to treat the effects of gum disease. With dental lasers, patients can heal faster, experienced minimal bleeding, and achieve optimal results.
- Scaling & Root Planing: This non-surgical solution for gum disease works by removing plaque and tartar buildup above and below the gum line.
- Anti Bacterial Rinse: This is performed during the earliest stage of gum disease to help reduce bacteria in the mouth and gums.
- Gingivectomy: removing diseased gum tissue and reducing the size of periodontal pockets.
Schedule An Appointment
Our experienced team of dentists offers a variety of periodontal therapy solutions to eliminate gum disease. We take a comprehensive, personalized approach to your treatment planning. If you are experiencing any signs of gum disease, it is important to visit us for an evaluation. To explore your treatment options for gum disease, call (845) 241-0656 or request an appointment online.