Do you have sudden, sharp tooth pain? Are your toothaches chronic? Receive dental care to reverse your tooth pain and target the cause of your toothaches. There are many possible causes of your tooth pain, from cavities to dental injuries. Here you can learn common causes and treatments for tooth pain in Pomona, NY.
Common Causes of Tooth Pain in Pomona, NY
There are many causes of tooth pain, including:
- Dental Injuries: Hits to the mouth can create breaks and chips in the tooth enamel. Patients experience pain and discomfort in their teeth after a dental injury. Sometimes injuries can expose the inside of the tooth chamber, which is full of nerves, cells, and blood vessels that keep teeth healthy. Exposing these nerves also creates tooth pain.
- Gum Disease: Periodontitis, or gum disease, is a bacterial infection that irritates and inflames the gums. If patients do not treat their gum disease symptoms, they can experience toothaches and pain. Over time, gum disease leads to gum recession and even tooth loss.
- Tooth Decay: Bacteria can break down the tooth enamel over time. Eventually, harmful bacteria can reach the inside of the tooth. Over time, the bacteria break down the tooth enamel and can form cavities. Like gum disease, tooth decay can eventually lead to bone loss.
- Wisdom Teeth: These teeth are the last permanent teeth and erupt behind the molars. Many patients can feel pain in the back of their mouth when their wisdom teeth emerge. We often remove wisdom teeth if they are impacted. Impacted wisdom teeth can dig into the molars and lead to overcrowding.
Treating Tooth Pain
In our office, we offer multiple treatment options to patients with toothaches and tooth pain:
- Root Canal: A root canal removes infected cells, blood vessels, and nerves within a tooth. Removing this dental pulp can save the tooth structure and prevent the spread of decay. Once we remove the infected pulp, we seal the tooth with a dental filling.
- Tooth Extraction: We need to remove severely infected and impacted teeth. If patients have impacted wisdom teeth, we remove them to prevent overcrowding and dental injuries. We also remove severely infected teeth and replace them with dental implants, which are durable and natural-looking restorations.
- Gum Therapy: Our office can treat gum inflammation and disease with laser dentistry, scaling and root planing, and more. We can provide a deep cleaning treatment or remove infected gum tissue as needed from the mouth for healthier teeth and gums.
- Cosmetic and Restorative Treatment: Patients with broken or injured teeth may require a cosmetic treatment like dental bonding or porcelain veneers. Dental crowns can also fully cover damaged teeth and hold cracked teeth together. Dental bonding treatment, porcelain veneers, and tooth crowns all look and feel natural. They can easily blend in with the appearance of natural teeth.
Treat sudden or chronic toothaches today. Contact Cosmetic Dentistry Associates at (845) 241-0656. You can also schedule a dental appointment with our dental team on our website. We are here to help.